This role is pivotal within the global finance function. It represents a rare opportunity for the right individual to
contribute to the transformation of a finance function and drive business performance within a successful firm
in a fast moving sector.
The goal of this role is enabling the department to achieve its objectives, make decision and plan
appropriately through the effective understanding and use of financial analysis.
Financial Planning and Analysis:
* Lead the preparation of the annual budget for the department providing insight for key commercial assumptions,
liaising with BD and COO's to ensure buy in on key dependencies, and ensuring accuracy of baseline budgets
* Interpret and communicate month end and forecast analysis for the department
* Provide regular performance forecast to give visibility to COO's and FP&A team, highlighting risks and
opportunities and agreeing actions to mitigate and deliver
* Challenge business assumptions in forecasting and planning, using analysis and post-implementation review
Performance Management and Communication
* End to end ownership of group P&Ls, driving quality of insightful commentary, and commercial challenge
* Advanced ad-hoc analysis as required to help maximise profitability across the group particularly around
realisation, utilisation, staffing ratios and working capital.
* Review and analysis of actual performance, interpret results drawing conclusions and making recommendations
for future actions
* Where gaps to target appear proactively engage with the department at the earliest opportunity to develop and
implement appropriate recovery plans
* Serving as the financial link between the department and the finance team.
* Provide insight and recommendations to deliver income growth or identify potential efficiency benefits through
* Providing financial mentoring and training to newly promoted partners / laterals / promotion candidates / new
* Providing necessary financial support to ensure strategic business development, client retention and increased
client profitability within the practice groups.
* In conjunction with the working capital team, keep abreast of any issues act as an escalation point to resolve
issues with internal/external stakeholders
* Being able to articulate any budget risks of any significant working capital issues.
* Providing input to delivery of effective people management processes and strategies, including capability
development, talent management, succession planning and workforce planning.
* Ensuring financial models and processes are critically reviewed on a regular basis for continuous improvement.
* Scenario modelling and business case preparation for business initiatives to aid decision making and maximise
business performance eg lateral partner recruitment
* Understanding operational dependencies for delivery on financial performance targets and ensuring these are
monitored to mitigate financial risk and deliver financial performance (eg innovation projects, case management
* Work with department aligned BD managers on client bids and proposals where finance-enabled capability can
* Supporting the BD team in client / key client reviews.
* Ad-hoc analysis and reporting to support BD and partners in maintaining and developing existing client
* Department executive/management team (incl designated finance partner)
* Global Head of FP&A
* Commercial Manager
* HR Business Partners
* Business development team
* Working capital team
Experience and Skills Required
* ACCA/ ACA/CIMA qualified with a minimum of 5 years PQE
* Extensive Finance Business Partnering experience with senior stakeholders within a professional
services business, ideally within the legal sector
* Advanced MS Office suite user (particularly Excel)
* Excellent written and verbal communication. Emotionally resilient, and has strength of personality to
ensure the perspective of 'Finance' is clearly communicated.
* The ability to remain calm and focussed under pressure.
* Excellent soft skills including the ability to influence or challenge senior stakeholders when necessary
* A continuous improvement mentality to support development of self, colleagues and business
processes and interactions
* Attention to detail as well as an ability to see the bigger picture which considers any cross-business
* A collaborative team-player who is transparent and has a straight forward approach
* Working proficiency of Elite 3E and MS reporting tools.
* Professional services background
Please contact Ashleigh Daniels, Recruitment Consultant, to discuss the role in more detail or apply through the vacancy for immediate consideration.
Douglas Scott are a regulated recruitment consultancy and will discuss this role and seek your approval before submitting an application directly to the decision maker.